Last Updated: 21/02/2023
Collection of Information
Use of Information
Sharing of Information
Advertising and Analytics
Additional Disclosures for Individuals in Europe
COLLECTION OF INFORMATION
The information we collect from you varies depending on how you interact with us. If you use our Sites as an individual developer or entity with a Developer Account, we describe below the categories of information we collect from you and the sources of this information.
Information You Provide to Us
We collect information you provide directly to us. For example, you share information directly with us when you create an account, submit Add-Ons, use our Sites, submit or post content through our Sites, fill out a form, communicate with us via third-party platforms, request developer support, or otherwise communicate with us.
The types of personal information that we collect could generally include:
- Account information: your name, account username and password, email, language, time zone, phone number, photograph, personal API key, any communications you provide, and any other information you choose to provide.
- Professional information: work contact details, title, employer, job title.
Not providing certain personal information may prevent CAKE.com from providing the Sites to you (e.g., without your email, we may not be able to create an account for you).
Information We Collect Automatically When You Interact with Us
When you access or use our Sites or otherwise transact business with us, we automatically collect certain information, including:
- Device and usage information: We collect information about how you access our Sites, including data about the device and network you use, such as your hardware model, operating system version, mobile network, IP address, unique device identifiers, browser type, device time zone, and app version. We also collect information about your activity on our Sites, such as access times, pages viewed, links clicked, and the page you visited before navigating to our Sites.
- Information collected by cookies and similar tracking technologies: We (and our service providers) use tracking technologies, such as cookies and web beacons, to collect information about you. Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive or in device memory that help us improve our Sites and your experience, see which areas and features of our Sites are popular, and count visits. Web beacons (also known as “pixel tags” or “clear GIFs”) are electronic images that we use on our Sites and in our emails to help deliver cookies, count visits, and understand usage and campaign effectiveness.
Information We Collect from Other Sources
We obtain information from third-party sources. For example, if you create or log into your CAKE.com account through a third-party platform (such as Google), we will have access to certain information from that platform in accordance with the authorization procedures determined by such platform.
Information We Derive
We may derive information or draw inferences about you based on the information we collect.
USE OF INFORMATION
We use the information we collect to provide, maintain, and improve our products and services. We also use the information we collect to:
- Provide you the Sites and facilitate our business relationship with you;
- Process and facilitate transactions and send you related information, including confirmations; receipts, invoices, and customer experience surveys;
- Send you technical notices, security alerts, and support and administrative messages;
- Respond to your comments and questions and provide developer services;
- Communicate with you about products, services, and events offered by CAKE.com and others and provide news and information that we think will interest you (see the Your Choices section below for information about how to opt out of these communications at any time);
- Personalize and improve your experience on our Sites;
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities in connection with our Sites;
- Detect, investigate, and prevent security incidents and other malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity and protect the rights and property of CAKE.com and others;
- Debug to identify and repair errors in our Sites;
- Comply with our legal and financial obligations; and
- Carry out any other purpose described to you at the time the information was collected.
SHARING OF INFORMATION
We share personal information in the following circumstances or as otherwise described in this policy:
- We share personal information at your direction with other third parties with whom you have directed us to share certain information.
- We share personal information with vendors, service providers, and consultants that need access to personal information in order to perform services for us, such as companies that assist us with web hosting, payment processing, CMR tools, fraud prevention, customer service, and marketing and advertising.
- We may disclose personal information if we believe that disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law or legal process, including lawful requests by public authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
- We may share personal information if we believe that your actions are inconsistent with our user agreements or policies, if we believe that you have violated the law, or if we believe it is necessary to protect the rights, property, and safety of CAKE.com, our users, the public, or others.
- We share personal information with our lawyers and other professional advisors where necessary to obtain advice or otherwise protect and manage our business interests.
- We may share personal information in connection with, or during negotiations concerning, any merger, sale of company assets, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by another company.
- Personal information is shared between and among CAKE.com and our current and future parents, affiliates, and subsidiaries and other companies under common control and ownership.
- We share personal information with your consent or at your direction.
ADVERTISING AND ANALYTICS
You may update and correct certain account information at any time by logging into your account or emailing us at email@example.com. If you wish to delete your account (via a user settings page, by email or otherwise), please note that we may retain certain information as required by law or for our legitimate business purposes.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually adjust your browser settings to remove or reject browser cookies. Please note that removing or rejecting cookies could affect the availability and functionality of our Sites. CAKE.com only uses strictly necessary cookies.
ADDITIONAL DISCLOSURES FOR INDIVIDUALS IN EUROPE
If you are located in the European Economic Area (“EEA”), the United Kingdom, or Switzerland, and you are an individual with a Developer Account whose personal information we control, you have certain rights and protections under the law regarding the processing of your personal information, and this section applies to you.
Legal Basis for Processing
When we process personal information, to the extent required by applicable law, we will do so in reliance on the following lawful bases:
- To perform our responsibilities under our contract with you (e.g., processing payments for and providing the products and services you requested).
- When we have a legitimate interest in processing your personal information to operate our business or protect our interests (e.g., to provide, maintain, and improve our products and services, conduct data analytics, and communicate with you).
- To comply with our legal obligations (e.g., to maintain a record of your consents and track those who have opted out of marketing communications).
- When we have your consent to do so (e.g., when you opt in to receive marketing communications from us). When consent is the legal basis for our processing your personal information, you may withdraw such consent at any time.
We store your personal information for as long as necessary to carry out the purposes for which we originally collected it and for other legitimate business purposes, including to meet our legal, regulatory, or other compliance obligations.
Data Subject Requests
To the extent required under applicable law, you have the right of:
- Access. You have the right to request a copy of the personal information we are processing about you, which we will provide to you in electronic form.
- Rectification. You have the right to require that any incomplete or inaccurate personal information that we process about you is amended.
- Deletion. You have the right to request that we delete personal information that we process about you, unless, for example, we are required to retain such data in order to comply with a legal obligation or to establish, exercise or defend legal claims.
- Restriction. You have the right to request that we restrict our processing of your personal information where: (i) you believe such data to be inaccurate; (ii) our processing is unlawful; or (iii) we no longer need to process such data for a particular purpose, but where we are not able to delete the data due to a legal or other obligation or because you do not want us to delete it.
- Portability. You have the right to request that we transmit the personal information we hold with respect to you to another data controller.
- Objection. Where the legal justification for our processing of your personal information is our legitimate interest, you have the right to object to such processing on grounds relating to your situation (e.g., direct marketing). We will abide by your request unless we have compelling legitimate grounds for the processing which override your interests and rights, or if we need to continue to process the data for the establishment, exercise or defense of a legal claim.
- Withdrawing Consent. If you have consented to our processing of your personal information, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time, free of charge. Please note that if you withdraw your consent, this will not affect the lawfulness of our use and processing of your information on the basis of your consent before the point in time when you withdraw your consent.
Some rights may be limited, and we may need to retain certain personal information, as required or permitted by applicable law. If you would like to further inquire about, or exercise any of these rights, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
International data transfer
We take steps to ensure that we handle your personal information subject to appropriate safeguards. As a US-based company, most of our operations are conducted in the United States and in order to provide the Sites, personal information will be processed in the United States, where laws regarding processing of personal information may be less stringent than the laws in your country. We provide appropriate protections for cross-border transfers as required by applicable law for international data transfers. With respect to transfers originating from the European Economic Area, Switzerland or the UK, where applicable, the standard contractual clauses and the international data transfer addendum to the European Commission’s standard contractual clauses for international data transfers, approved by the European Commission and the UK Information Commissioner, respectively, are implemented. Where required by such laws, you may request a copy of the suitable mechanisms we have in place by contacting us as detailed below.
In some cases, we may provide you with the option to choose the location, including locations in the EEA, in which we store and process your data. To the extent we provide that option to you, we will only process and store your data in the designated location and not transfer your data outside that jurisdiction, except in accordance with applicable law.
Questions or Complaints
If you have a concern about our processing of personal information that we are not able to resolve, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Data Protection Authority where you reside. Contact details for your Data Protection Authority can be found using the links below:
For individuals in the EEA: https://edpb.europa.eu/about-edpb/board/members_en
For individuals in the UK: https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/
For individuals in Switzerland: https://www.edoeb.admin.ch/edoeb/en/home/the-fdpic/contact.html
2100 Geng Road
Palo Alto, CA
For our users in the EEA, the United Kingdom, or Switzerland, you may also contact our Data Protection Officer at email@example.com